Monday, April 25, 2011

Quest for Christ in "The Book of Mormon"


Over the past 6 months Matt and I have been reading The Book of Mormon together every day. This book -- an amazing testament of Jesus Christ--showed us in each chapter how many times our Savior is referenced.  I personally did not count how many times Christ was reverenced, but a professor at BYU did.  Donald W. Parry counted "101 different names for Christ in The Book of Mormon. 
These are some of the names that can be found:

Lord God
Omnipotent
Redeemer of Israel
Shepherd
Son of the Living God
The names/titles are each found twice;
 Stone
True Messiah
Mighty One of Jacob
 and Great Creator
The names/titles each appear 10 or more time
Holy One of Israel
Lamb of God
 Lord Jesus Christ
 Redeemer
 and Messiah
 The names/titles are each found at least 100 times in the book
Christ
 God
 Jesus
Lord
and Lord God
 …Christ
 Christ Jesus
 Christ the Son
Creator
 Eternal Father
 Everlasting Father
 Father of Heaven
Holy Messiah
 Jesus
 Jesus Christ
 Lamb
 Lamb of God
Lord Jesus Christ
Mediator
 Messiah
Only Begotten of the Father
Only Begotten Son
Redeemer
Redeemer of Israel
Savior
Savior of the World
Shepherd

 and True Redeemer.
(Parry)

“In all, the 101 names/titles of Christ are collectively presented 3,925 times in 6,607 Book of Mormon verses…Christ appears once every 1.7 verses. 


 The Book of Mormon is in fact a testament of Jesus Christ.  It is a true record of the people of the America's.  I have prayed and received an answer multiple times about the truthfulness of this spectacular book.  And because this book is true, the prophet Joseph Smith is a true prophet, and he did translate this book from the golden plates that were given to him.
The church is true.
 I will stand as a daughter of God knowing that Christ is MY Redeemer for the rest of eternity.

Source: 

2 comments:

  1. Kiely, that's so beautiful that you did this for Easter Day. Did you realize it was for Easter? I'm again reading the Book of Mormon. I read the last time with a map and wrote and lined-out everywhere that the people traveled. What I time I had. This time I was just enjoying and then, just last night, now that I'm the first section of Alma, I'm thinking, "How many times are we asked to 'repent' in the whole Book? Alma certainly cries repentance, doesn't he?

    Yes, I have faith, but I need to really repent, and that step leads to a more consecrated life. I love this post--we are reading together. I love you and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome Kiely!! Very cool. Yesterday I got the Personal Progress Book in the mail. I ordered it for myself so that I can stay on track and have propose in my study and guide lines and goals to meet that are basic. I am so very proud of you and you are a great example to me. I love you little sister!!

    ReplyDelete